Tactical cables are not actually a distinctive cable product family, but rather a term used to describe communication cables that are constructed for use in non-permanent (and often harsh) applications. So what actually characterizes tactical cables and what makes them unique?
- They are intended for use in non-permanent, re-deployable communications and control systems.
A tactical cable is any audio-video cable (copper, fiber optic or hybrid) that is specifically designed for use in re-deployable, non-permanent communications and control systems. These systems are commonly used in the Media, Events, Broadcast, Defense, Oil & Gas, and Security industries for a wide range of applications including:
- Military tactical field applications
- Mobile video production
- TV cameras
- Tethered drones and aerostats
- Underwater vehicles
- Emergency power/communications delivery
- Pipe crawlers and tank inspection
- Emergency responders
- Remote sensors and cameras
- Terrestrial vehicles
- Mobile antenna deployment
- They are constructed to withstand repeated (and often rapid) deployment, retrieval, connection, recoiling, transportation, and storage.
As tactical cables are designed for repeated, non-permanent installations, they require a different type of construction to cables designed for permanent installation. They need to be strong, lightweight, durable and flexible, and offer a high level of mechanical performance.
This high level of flexibility makes it easier to route, coil up, pack away, and redeploy the cables whenever required. It also ensures that the cable can withstand repeated pulling, flexing and bending without affecting its long-term performance. To summarize, tactical cables need to be constructed in a way that ensures maximum durability, flexibility, strength and performance – without any of these factors causing degradation of the others.
- They are designed with cable jacket materials that provide extra resistance against harsh environmental conditions.
Tactical cables are often deployed in harsh environments. For this reason, they are designed using jacket materials that can withstand rodents, chemical solvents, extreme temperatures, UV exposure, humidity, ice, fluid immersion, and/or fungus.
- They are designed with a high tensile load capability and enhanced crush/impact resistance.
In addition to the harsh environmental conditions that tactical cables are often exposed to, they are also exposed to additional elements common to military and field applications. For this reason, they need to offer a high level of resistance against crush, impact, and vehicle run-over.
Proven Tactical Cables with Enhanced Mechanical Properties
Teldor has extensive experience in designing, engineering and manufacturing tactical cables for standard and custom military, Oil & Gas, marine, utility, industrial, and commercial applications.
Our solutions, which are tested according to the most demanding tactical cable qualification standards, include both stand-alone cables and pre-assembled portable deployment roll-pack solutions. These pre-assembled solutions are produced in cooperation with some of the world's leading connector and deployment pack manufacturers.
Depending on the requirements and specifications of each application, they are based on the following communication cable product families:
- Copper category data cables
- Fiber-optic cables covering all fiber types and counts both in tight buffer distribution and breakout designs
- Custom-designed hybrid cables (combining fiber-optic and copper conductors)
These cables can also include the following where required:
- Cable jacket options that provide resistance to severe environmental conditions
- Cable additives that offer enhanced abrasion and crush resistance
- Cable armoring options – Steel Braid Armor (SBA) or helical – for durability, including anti-rodent armor that does not affect the cable’s flexibility and maintains a reduced outer diameter and weight
Leveraging their extensive knowledge and years of experience in the field, our designers and engineers develop tactical cables with the enhanced crush, torsion, impact and tensile performance required to meet the most demanding rapid and multiple deployment requirements.
Contact us to learn more about our proven, rugged tactical cables for rapid and repeated deployment.